Friday, August 10, 2007

Bad German Week


Ok, Ok, I admit it. I have no choice but to do so now that I've been caught. You just can't run from reality once the cold hard facts have been slammed in your face.

It's official. My. German. Stinks. And everyone knows it. (Read: my teacher, me, and anyone else who's unfortunate enough to read my weekly ramblings.)

After receiving an awful grade on a progress report, I've been placed on the remedial track--the track for students who can't quite pick up the language. The track for students who are too damn lazy to study that with which they struggle. The track for students with "special needs."

The sad part is that it's a one-on-one class so if I'm on the remedial track that means that my whole class (read: me and my teacher) is a self-contained special needs class. I haven't felt this special since 7th grade algebra.

It started out innocently enough--a declension here, a list of vocab words , and a bit on sentence structure there. And then, somewhere around the chapter on assigning gender to objects and distinguishing the difference between dative and accusative sentences I got lost. I mean really lost. I mean breaking out in a cold sweat when asked to form a sentence lost. And, it's been that way ever since.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I've been cocky. I mean, I'm only doing this for J, right? I had no interest in learning German before our move. Why would I? I also thought I didn't need to study because up until I now my teacher has been pleased with my progress. In fact, in spite of the poor performance this week, I still received high marks for fluency and comprehension but the stupid grammar is kicking my butt.

So this week, I've trying to piece back together my ego and figure out a way to recover my dignity. With some more work, hopefully things will turn up.

Otherwise, I guess I need to start rehearsing my lines with Frankie Avalon in my debut performance as Frenchie in "German School Drop-out."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki don't be so hard on yourself...sounds like your doing an excellent job. Given the same set of circumstances anyone making a leap of faith like you and J would feel the same.

Well...I'll be looking forward to your next post...take care

darryl

Anonymous said...

DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF--YOU GOT US THROUGH THE WEEK WITH NO PROBLEM...

seriously, not to offend anyone tuning in, but German is a tough language all around! not only to learn, but to listen to--who are we kidding. lower your expectations, your stay is only 2 years, you don't have to master it and that's ok, you CAN speak it cause i heard you, so stop saying you don't know how :)

get the super glue, piece your ego back together, and go order (in German) a raspberry mojito or glass of reisling and toast to all you have accomplished!!

tia-cheers!

jae always asks when she'll see you guys--she loves looking at the pictures--when she see a pic of Ingo she says, "mommy that's Ingo , he rides a bike in Berlin!" cute :)

cheer up