Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Wake me and tell me I'm dreaming


Last night, I had the weirdest dream. (strike and insert: nightmare.)

I dreamt that I was sleeping when there was a knock on our bedroom window. With the fog of sleep still in my brain, I opened the window to see a man standing there. When I asked him what he wanted, he said that he would like to buy two first class tickets to Potsdam--a city a few miles outside of Berlin city center. To that, I told him that I didn't sell tickets to Potsdam and went back to bed.

No sooner than I had gotten under the covers did another knock wake me. This time, more annoyed and more confused, I looked out to find another man and a line of people standing behind him.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"A U-Bahn subway ticket to the Freidrickstrasse station, please." He replied.

At this point, I start noticing magazines on my windowsill and gum and candy stacked in front of them. Unfazzed, I told the man that I didn't sell tickets to the U-Bahn and that he must be in the wrong place, thank you. Please leave.

"Then, why," asked the man more frustrated now, "did I have an awning advertising as such?"

To this, I pushed myself out of the window and was shocked to find that, in deed, my bedroom window had become a cheap, touristy ticket counter. Confused and bewildered in the way you can only get when you've been awakened in the middle of deep REM sleep I asked J if he knew anything about this.

"Yes." He said. "I thought opening a ticket kiosk might make us some money. You'd be perfect at it."

"But, I don't want to sell tickets out of our bedroom window in my pj's!" I cried.

"Too bad. You're not doing anything here and we need the money, so get used to it." He said and walked away. End of story.

The dream was so vivid I woke up angry at him. How could I have married such a controlling tyrant and what did he take me for selling subway tickets from our bedroom window? Oh, wait a second that was just a dream, I remembered.

I told John about it this morning when I woke up .

"Wow." He grinned sarcastically. "It would take a professional to analyze that one. What could it all mean?"

Ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, go ahead and apply for a job at the berlin train station, i mean, that what the dream is saying to me. you're supposed to be helping people in some capacity, or maybe you should be a tour guide for americans visiting berlin--start your own company!!!

oh!! thx for the anniversary wishes!! #5 is just around the corner for you!! call me :)

tia

Anonymous said...

HA!
THAT was FUNNY!

I don't know what was funniest- John telling you to "work the booth" or the line of angry Germans outside your window!

I don' t know about the dream, but I would just delight that I was dreaming in German. When I studied abroad, we couldn't wait to begin dreaming in Spanish! It means your mind is ready to accept the language, girl! Give in, give in! Study harder and you'll be fluent in no time!

I KNEW something was happening in August (all the birthdays have passed). Congratulations Tia & Nikki (not in the civil union way)!

Do you get US channels and shows on your tv?

Monica