Monday, December 10, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time

So, this is what we've been waiting for the past six months. Christmas. Beautiful, hopeful, Christmas.

One of John's friends invited us over for kaffee and kuchen yesterday and then took us to their favorite Christmasmarkts. It was as quaint and lovely as we imagined.

All of the typical grum-grumbling is put aside in favor of the festive spirit. Christmasmarkt's overflow with cheerful-yes, cheerful-Germans who want nothing more than to share a warm gluhwein, munch on a toasty bratwurst, and shop for holiday trinkets before the big guy arrives. You might even get an "Excuse me." should someone run into you in an effort to push through the crowds of wishful patrons standing in the Dresdener Stollen line. Like I said, it's down right festive in these parts. I've never seen so much civility in my life. The Ho-humbugs don't stand a chance.

I've not felt more jubilant or grateful to be part of the local scene since we arrived six months ago. Who knows, we might even miss Christmas Berlin while we're in Atlanta during the next month.















5 comments:

DBunny said...

Wait... GERMANS saying "excuse me/Entschuldigung" instead of just slamming right into you???! Wow, that IS the Christmas spirit! ;-)

2D said...

Looks more festive there than it is in ATL.... We are still able to wear shorts because it's close to 80.

Anyway you'll see your going to be here for a whole month.

I was hopping to barter some of that delicious European chocolate for some delicious Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix or Quaker Oats Oatmeal !!!

Shea said...

Hey Nikki, you asked about my wallpaper....I used all the blogger settings that were available when I created the blog....very easy. I'm not able to figure out how to do anything else....:)love you.

Shea said...

Hey Nikki, you asked about my wallpaper....I used all the blogger settings that were available when I created the blog....very easy. I'm not able to figure out how to do anything else....:)love you.

Russell said...

Wait... GERMANS saying "excuse me/Entschuldigung" instead of just slamming right into you???! Wow, that IS the Christmas spirit! ;-)