Monday, December 31, 2007

Onward

Well, it's hard to believe it but 2007 is on it's way out. After all of the planning, researching, moving, cursing, good-byes, hellos, laughs, and tears, we have survived our first 6 months in Berlin.

Our friends who moved overseas before us warned that it would take 6 months to begin to acclimate to a new culture. Perhaps, it speaks to the strength of our induction training courses that we have yet to be shocked by living in a foreign culture. That's not to say that it has been easy but it hasn't been hard either. So, I'm curious about what's around the next corner. What does 2008 have in store for us? What will our first full year in a foreign country be like? I don't have a crystal ball but I do have alot of hope.

I have hope that we will continue to discover things within ourselves that we never thought we had. I have hope that the summer will be a real summer packed with hot weather, sunny days, and long, lingering nights. (No mosquitos though, the national bird of Germany). I have hope that the German language will not, will not, will not get the best of us. That we'll look back and think--Oh, that silly language? I never doubted we'd catch on. I have hope we will eat strange food and exotic drink and discover that we like it, we really like it. I have hope that our small circle of friends will grow into a huge foster family and that our discomfort zones will shrink. I have hope that our little family will continue to grow closer in 2008 to the point that we will one day look back on this experience with tears.....of joy and nostalgia of what was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki!

Now that Shea has started her blog, I've realized that I need to get with the program and become a little more familiar with this stuff. So now I think I'll be able to keep up :) I'll definitely be in Europe Feb 27-Mar 4. I'll let you know when I have more details. Love you!

Josephowrl said...

Gold Is Not A Good Investment. By all means, buy some good gold and silver stocks, too especially of. That's why gold is not an "investment". It needs to be held for its own sake, not to make a. IRA Gold Proof? Buy Gold Coins, Bullion, Bars and Precious. Coins, providing current gold news and a free gold investment. What time is needed to rollover or transfer an IRA into Gold? 468 North Camden Drive Beverly Hills, California 90210. Emirates NBD Personal Banking Promotions Gold Investment Account. Introducing Gold Investment Account A new way to save money. Why buy physical gold when you can reap the same benefits by storing gold electronically?