Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hausfrau

I should feel guilty, right? And feel some sense of inadequacy that my life's work isn't contributing to the greater good. I am not earning a paycheck so I don't contribute financially to my household budget. I'm not strenously volunteering to offset the working void in the universe. I'm not at home spending my days molding the minds of my young offspring. In fact, I don't do much so it's only right that that should produce a healthy amount of guilt in response. I mean, I should be beating myself up. Shouldn't I?

But I don't and I'm not. I don't feel even an ounce of guilt. I thought I would. I thought I would be climbing the walls questioning the meaning of my existence without a routine; a hard earned paycheck; bubbling, brutal work stress, but I don't. Apart from some occasional "I am women where's my roar?" moments, I'm adjusting quite well to my role as hausfrau. I'm just your run of the mill trailing spouse and for the time being that. is. okay.

It is not lost on me how fortunate I am to be in a situation where money isn't a stress and a packed calendar aren't the foundation of my happiness. It's funny that I am learning that I need much fewer things in my day or even week or even my life to be satisfied. Plenty of sleep. An activity strewn throughout my week's calendar. A good bowl of soup and a handmade pastry. Some trashy, mindless television. A loving husband and supportive family. Some laughs with my long distance girlfriends. And a good book. That's it really. I can be content in the small joys of life. I can find solace in my solitude.

There will come a time, I am sure, when I will eat my words and ache for the personal satification of working outside of the home. But time has not yet come, so nowI choose to be content. And to be Guilt.Less.

6 comments:

Shea said...

I'm proud of you! I cannot say I always feel like you do. I've never felt like Eric's paycheck was "his" money and not mine b/c I didn't earn it....but I do spend days not feeling content about where I am. Being at home with the kids is both what I want more than anything and what I least want to do sometimes. Maybe I should move to Germany. Or ethiopia. :)

MoFoust said...

Hey.....

where are our blogs????
2/1......2/21? what's up with that?!

Anonymous said...

i would love to throw away my treo/palm & turn in my company vehicle keys and kiss the working life goodbye...no simpathy here, and no need for guilt chick! savor this time like a bowl of your favorite pasta and warm bread...yum...eat this time up :)

tia

Anonymous said...

i meant "sympathy"...see that's what i get for responding to blogs at all hours of the night--can't spell right after midnight.

finally going to sleep now that i am somewhat caught up on my berliner,

tia:) 1:12am

Gardner said...

Hey look up. Maintaining their "Haushalt" is very important job, even for women with no children and no job outside the home. The Germans are very proud of the work required to maintain a home. Best of luck with the transition to

Also, one note when looking for activities and groups in Germany (especially among the Germans). The new person introduces themselves and asks for what they want. It's the exact opposite of what I experienced in the states and thought it might be useful when you reach out for activities.

Janet Walker said...

Nikki,

Tony and I are coming to Berlin on March 17. Did John tell you? Will you be home?

Janet Walker