Friday, March 21, 2008

Wishing You Were Here

I had the strangest dream last week. I dreamt I was driving to Stonecrest Mall on the way to J's mom's house when I had to make a critical decision: Taco Bell or Dairy Queen. I couldn't decide what was more compelling a cheap, flimsy, beef soft taco or a chili dog and Butterfinger Blizzard. What is weird is that I can't tell you the last time I had either one of these items, let alone the last time I stepped foot into Taco Hell. Ever since last week, however, I would give anything to be back in the states long enough to go.

It is torture to have a craving for something and to know that there is no way on earth to satisfy that craving. It's like the more you want it, the more you think about it, the more you want it. It's even worse when you get real-time American television that advertises said food craving on an hourly commercial roll. I tried to quench the Tex-Mex grumblings by sneaking into a VERY shady restaurant in my neighborhood (think: sandy beach-like floors, cheap teaky tables, somberos, and signs advertizing Jagermeister Fridays) to order an "enchilada." Other than the fact that I received beef wrapped inside of a soft taco, nothing has ever tasted further away from an enchilada than this. Something inside me knew this but I had to give it a try. Sigh.

So, what do you do to exorcize the food demons? Why, you blog about them in a list dump. Here are the foods I would die for right now.

1. Cupcake, any cupcake, from Whole Foods.
2. Pumpkin chocolate chip cookie from Whole Foods.
3. A beef soft taco and enchilada with refried beans and rice...oh, and queso dip with jalapeno peppers
4. Butterfinger Blizzard
5. French fries from Steak and Shake
6. Chili Dog with Orange Julius Milk Shake from the Varsity
7. Everything bagel with cream cheese from a local bakery

Mmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about it....wishing you were here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salsa from Kaiser's with tortilla chips tides me over most of the time. A substitute certainly, but . . .

Location: Berlin, DE said...

OMG, Gardner what I wouldn't do for some queso dip to go with those chips!

Anonymous said...

Dang....pumpkin chocolate chip cookies ... i'm fixated on those right now.

I'm off to whole foods, I suppose the cabbage diet will have to wait another day!

Shea said...

I LOVE steak and shake fries AND of course the everything bagel with cream cheese...toasted.
wish I could send you any of these.