Thursday, August 21, 2008

Looky, looky, looky

Let me begin by saying that I love that I am having a boy. A rough and tumble, snuggly, happy, mama's baby of a boy. I love the idea that I can be my blunt, unedited self without feeling like I'm going to bruise a sensitive pysche. I love that I can have the chance to pressure--I mean--gently encourage him to take after mama and play soccer. I love, love, am TOTALLY in love with the idea that I won't be doing hair for now. I love that I will get the chance to see the mirror image of my husband in a pint sized package. And I am over the moon in love with the idea that I have a better chance of getting folds of lovable baby thighs and baby cheeks to kiss alllll-over.


But, and this is a big one, BUT buying baby boy clothes is a real, flippin' bummer, dude....especially in Germany.


For starters, it seems that the general consensus amongst the fashion forward German buyer (and I use the previous four words lightly) is that a mother of a boy wants so desperately to label said child as male that nothing would please her more than blue clothes. Baby blue, navy blue, striped blue, any iteration of blue is the color of choice for baby boys. I am aware that this is not a problem only here but in the states, as well, but my gosh people, at least in the states you can find clothes matched with blue and other colors. Here, unless you go the brown, pastel yellow or light green route, you are stuck on blue. What's so effeminate about the other 6 primary colors? What did they ever do to get relegated to the girl's section?


To make matters worse, mothers of baby boys here seem to be CRAZY for cartoons. So on top of your ever so boring blue, you have to tolerate Snoopy and Charlie Brown, or Winnie the Pooh, or --even worse-- some silly saying about how dirty or naughty or cheeky the baby is. Excuse me, but I don't plan on having a dirty baby or one that is obnoxious so why would I want to label my child as such? And what ever happened to the good ol' polo shirt? I mean, my husband is of the XY variety and he doesn't any shirts that say"Mr. Roadrage" or "Proudly Sporting Unwashed Hands for 35 Years." Why should mini-J?


And finally, there is the material. Nothing says cuddly baby apparently like 100% polyester. It is true that I am having a fall baby but why must he wear flameable, synthetic material to ensure his warmth? Are velour or fleece garments the only ones appropriate for bundling a baby these days? I thought baby's were best dressed in 100% cotton but maybe I am wrong because it has been a chore finding non-synthetic fabrics around these parts.


De. Pressing, I tell you. It hurts my ever-lovin' heart. Shopping for baby boy clothes in this city stinks and my unscientifically unreliable research concludes that the same can not be said for girl clothes. Don't think I haven't wandered over to the girl section--which is practically the entire baby section--to see if I could find something passable for a boy. I can easily say that if you have a girl baby you are set...a boy, not so much.


So, what did I do but take matters into my own hands and have been painting onesies until I can seek refuge in the warmth of the over-consumerized marketplace that is the great american shopping mall this winter. These are just a start--I still have more to do-- but until then, these will have to do, pig. These will have to do.







4 comments:

Gardner said...

For cute! Those are adorable. Good luck with the clothes. It's a life long battle.

Our nine year old boy is too wide for 128 and too short for 140 and 134's are hard (read next to impossible) to find. And he goes through pants like crazy (read: rough and tumble boy).

G in Berlin said...

Those are super cool onesies, and probably preferable to buying any, but you can definitely buy great boys baby clothes here. You need to swallow hard and go up a price pont or two, and there's super French and Italian clothing for babies. Above my touch, but that's why I live on hand me downs for the most part. Look in the yellow pages for better levels of baby stores.
You are definitely talented and might be able to sell painted onesies at a store in P'Berg or K'berg.

Shea said...

Nikki you know I've always liked your paintings! These are SO great. I can't believe how cute they are. He'll look adorable......when are we going to see a pic of YOU?

Anonymous said...

I love your onesies. Have you looked at the organic/natural clothing stores? I lived in Germany with two boys and often found their clothes more tasteful, and also much more comfortable, though more expensive too. Good luck and all the best!