Friday, October 10, 2008

Speaking of Friends

Do you hear that sound?


It's the white noise that has been occupying my brain cells as of late. Lots of information goes in and nothing sticks. I have moments of sheer blogging genius where I'll have something to write about, something that updates you on what's going on in our lives or something that has made me laugh, and then I'll completely forget it just as fast as the inspiration hits me. For this, I say "I'm sorry"....or maybe "You're welcome" is more appropriate depending on what you think of my musings. Two obvious things that happened last month that I wanted to share with you were my showers. One real, one virtual. Both equally unexpected and moving gestures.



First came the virtual shower. One of the best things about it was that I didn't have to leave the comfort of my own home...heck, I didn't even need to change out of my pj's...to attend. There was no need to squeeze my cheeks into an unflatteringly tight maternity outfit or shade my makeup to hide the ever darkening insomnia-induced bags under my eyes. The door bell just rang one morning and my secret lover, the DHL delivery man, came with a package for me. When I read the return address, I found that it was my dear friend, Tia, who is always sending me care packages, and figured it was just another unexpected baby gift from her. But when I read the card, I discovered that she had organized a shower in a box from all of my closest friends back home. Before I even started opening the presents, I was bawling. I couldn't even get past the first line of the card that reads "Everybody loves you and we don't even know who you are." Uh, so, so sweet and so, so needed at that time. I couldn't believe that so much love and attention had been paid for little old me.


This package is probably one of the sweetest gestures any one has ever made to me. Inside was a baby book, baby album, baby lotions and soaps, an adorable frog pacifier from my godson, a few blankets, and a precious baby shower plaque that Tia made for me. Although I would have preferred to have them here with me, I felt their love and support through this shower. I am so blessed to have such true girlfriends.

Then came my other shower which my friends Sandra, Yvette, and Frances threw for me at the Russian Teehaus in Mitte. I'll admit to opposing the idea of a shower initially because baby showers are a foreign concept in Europe. But my arm was twisted and I am so glad it was. We had a beautiful afternoon at this little jewelbox of a place drinking tea and listening to our only veteran, Yvette, share wisdom about childbirth and labor. Afterwards, everyone placed a bet on when the baby would come and offered to buy a prize for the person who comes the closest. The last thing I expected when I became pregnant was to get a baby shower so knowing that so much thought and love went into the planning of this day really meant alot to me. I am so grateful to have such good friends on both continents! Gummy Bear is lucky to have so many auntie's waiting to greet him when he arrives.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!
Congratulations on your showers!

It's about time we got another post! The time is drawing nigh and posts will be far and few between!

C'mon. You've got a few more in you! Tell us about your obsession with facebook....tell us about the weather or the food you've been eating and making! We know the stories are in there!

Shea said...

NIKKI.....we love you and john and baby Brownlee and can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Shea said...

NIKKI.....we love you and john and baby Brownlee and can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Blessed&HighlyFavored said...

hey nik! you are so funny and so gushy. lol. still waiting on beebee (baby brownlee).

Anonymous said...

Dang on it.... I didn't know about the 'virtual baby shower' !!!!

Anyways congratulations ****
John said Gavin came into the world this Sunday (10/19/2008) Berlin time.

PEACE AND MANY BLESSINGS....we have officially grown up.

dd