Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cha, Cha, Cha...


Charmin! Yes, they sell Charmin toilet paper in Berlin. I was so excited when I saw it in the supermarket the other day that I nearly screamed out loud with glee. Finding my favorite brand of toilet paper shouldn't make me this happy, but, boy, does it. We've tried a couple of brands and were sorely (pun intended) disappointed with them. You can get yourself cut with some of this stuff so what a relief it was to find a little something of home right in our own backyard.

I've been a bit of a toilet paper snob for some time now but had lowered my expectations when we arrived. In fact, I'd lowered my expectations about alot of things hoping that surprises, like these, would mean more to me. I'm glad I did because I think it's one of the reasons I haven't had a meltdown. Like J says, we can alter our expectations without compromising our standards. So what if you get crepes, instead of pancakes here? They are both served for breakfast and can be equally delicious. Of course, to his chagrin, you can't find instant oatmeal in Berlin--a point that J claims might make him skip breakfast on weekdays indefinitely. Good thing he has a $60 shipment being hand-delivered from Atlanta this week! Not every convenience can be replaced.

It's a bad habit but I'm finding myself making mental notes of what is better here, what is better in the US, and what is pretty much the same. The ice cream is definitely better here and cheaper. The shop down the street makes sublime, homemade gelato that can't be compared with anything I've tasted back home. I've been known to dream about the stuff! (Score one big point for Germany) Parking stinks here but so does it in many American cities. Parking pains are universal. (US - Germany tie) Customer service is pretty much non-existent in Berlin but when you come across a friendly waiter or sales associate it's much more meaningful. (Only one for USA because you are also not required to tip more than 10% for poor restaurant service and no one at clothing stores walks behind you to make a sell....a real relief sometimes.) Germany's commitment to recycling can't be beat even if it becomes a bit beauracratic. You have to sort all plastic, metal, haz mat, food, and paper in different garbage disposals. You have to buy groceries bags at the store or bring your own and washing a load of laundry takes about 3 hours in a water conserving machine. (Germany scores 3 points.) But watching the deplorable German t.v. shows proves why US culture has so influenced the rest of the world. No one creates shows or movies like we do and they shouldn't even try to compete. Luckily, we have an amazing device that routes tv shows from the US so we watch Primetime at 2 am; and there is a Sony Theatre that shows all American movies in English. (Another 3 points for the USA ) Finally, the standards of cleanliness are definite cultural differences as the health departments in Berlin must have other bridges to burn. Eating pastry that has flies and yellow jackets swarming around them does not a marketing strategy make. We eat outside whenever possible to avoid seeing something we wish we hadn't. (US - 3 points.)

My list goes on and on and for now, the US still comes out on top. I know that when I stop making lists I will have come closer to integrating. It's funny how much these little things mean when you are in transition. Finding Charmin, honestly, made me feel a little less foreign, a little more at ease, and slightly more encouraged that moving here wasn't such a big sacrafice after all. If you can find your favorite toilet paper, surely you can make other new discoveries and perhaps even come across some European brands that you favor over American ones.

Hmmm, Chocolate and bread being two important pluses! Okay, four more points for Germany....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

weiss schokolade gelato...gryffindor, i mean, Germany, 50 points!!!!

since you're awarding points, i had to add that in!

american hugs...priceless!
tia