Friday, May 2, 2008

Homemade

Sometimes toasting a bagel under the broiler doesn't quite do it for me; so this morning, I decided to saute a bagel in butter on a skillet and smother it with cream cheese. The slight saltiness of the butter mixed with the creamy, meltiness of the cheese is heavenly. The crunchy, sesame shell and the soft and springy inner core made for the quintessial bagel. It is breakfast perfection.

What makes it even more loverly is that I made it myself. Well, I made it with the help of my friend, Sandra, and we both agree that it is perhaps the best bagel we have ever eaten. Of course, we are a bit biased but I can't think of anything as rewarding as eating homemade bread straight from the oven. There is something so nostalgic and comforting in enjoying fresh food that I think the longer it takes to bake, the better--hopefully--it tastes to the baker. Baking bread and pastries is up there with getting massages and shopping for clothes, in my opinion. The therapeutic rewards are nearly immediate and the endorphine release is fantastic.

Yes, it took 4 hours of mixing, kneading, rising, shaping, rising, boiling, and baking before we were able to sample the fruits of our labor. But it was worth every second. We were absolutely giddy with enjoyment and accomplishment at the result. They were crispy. They were chewy. They were perfect. In fact, it turned out so well that we've decided to move onto other obscure culinary pursuits. We'll take on Baked Alaskas, norwegian cinnamon buns, and cheese danishes. Conquering a seemingly impossible endeavor like making homemade bagels has boosted our confidence. There is nothing we can't bake with a little time and determination on our side. The epicurian sky is the limit.













4 comments:

Snooker said...

How fun!
I know what you mean about spending a day in the kitchen to come up with a masterpiece. It just seems to taste so much better knowing that you're the one that put it together, every ingredient was put in with loving care.

s said...

the culinary highlight of my LIFE. the bagel pulled apart just like it should. it was unbelievable. the consistency was beyond perfect.... Nicole, we need to go into BUSINESS. we can call ourselves Lady Bagel, or something like that!? bis bald!

G in Berlin said...

Wow, that looks fantastic. I'm starting to aim for a recipe a day but I think I won't achieve bagel for some time!

Location: Berlin, DE said...

Lady Bagel does have a certain ring to it!! Maybe we could push it off on the book club first?

For G and Snooker, it really wasn't that hard...just a huge time commitment.